Corporate Blogging - Blog exploring new age / new ideas in Marketing and Marcom

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

IBMers resignation shows loyalty to employer and his principles

As a follow-up on this story that has captured quite a bit of attention - particularly outside the US, I wanted to share a really great post from Instapundit. After taking IBM a bit to task for allowing the employee to quit of his own accord, they've come back to say they think they were a bit harsh on IBM and provided a different view. They have posted an e-mail they received from an unidentified IBMer. I've quoted a couple of the paragraphs below...

"In fact Gaurav decided to resign because out of appreciation and a sense of loyalty to IBM. He wrote, "The second thing dear to me is IBM's well-being. IBM has been a good employer to me. I have no complaints about them. Even in light of these events, they did not pressurise me to go against my principles and hush the matter up. Yet, IBM was being dragged into this unnecessarily. It was being made a target of bizarre pressure tactics. If even one Thinkpad laptop was actually burnt, it would cause a lot of bad press and nuisance for IBM. So I did not want IBM's well-being to be compromised in any way."
"To me that is the big story, that any corporation can still inspire such loyalty in it's employees that they'd rather leave the company than see it get hurt is, these days, nothing short of wondrous. That there are still people like Gaurav Sabnis who stick to their principles, even when it means making the tough decisions, is marvelous. I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet the man, or work with him, as he's exactly the kind of person we need to keep."


I agree with this writer. According to Gaurav, he was asked by IBM not to leave and to rethink his decision to leave IBM. I am an IBMer and I do see that IBM seeks out people with the values demonstrated by Guarav and does try and keep people with those values at IBM.

I come back to the fact that this is "fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out". I am a self titled "blogvangelist" at IBM but this also makes me realize that not everyone everywhere is playing by the same rules and even more, it is sometimes hard to know the rules. My concern is that if it has thrown up a cautionary flag for me does it do so for others and does it make some people feel that it just isn't worth the risk to be playing in this "game". If so, it will stifle our open communications. That is a risk worth pondering.

Thanks for checking in with me.

0 Old Comments: