Corporate Blogging - Blog exploring new age / new ideas in Marketing and Marcom

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Am I a really dedicated blogger

David Coleman had a really good blog about Too Much Collaboration. How we are getting interrupted by e-mail, phones etc. There was some talk there of some potential IBM solutions and solutions from other's like Microsoft. I don't know about you but I can't wait for some solutions.

It wasn't that long ago in the business world that you might get out or receive 5-10 memos in a day. A memo might be dictated to a secretary, then typed, reviewed and when perfected it would be distributed. It would then take several days for people to respond to said memo. That same process would now transpire in less than 5 minutes. We are now handling all our own communications, travel scheduling, paperwork, people management systems, how many e-mail and other communications per day while trying to produce brilliant strategy or end work in what ever it is we are supposed to be doing. Now I'm also supposed to have time to program my RSS feeds, track things on Technorati, blog on the IBM internal blog and here with some intelligence while reading as many other blogs as possible, do links and trackbacks so I can become a more popular blogger..... while doing my REAL job.

In a blog conference in NYC back in February I think it was, I asked Robert Scoble if he thought it was realistic that a person could be a "famous" blogger if it weren't his full time (near full time) gig. He rather scolded me for thinking that his blog job was his job. He pointed out that his job was Channel 9 and blogging was an after hours thing. Well I'm not sure that everyone sees it that way. Maybe the Channel 9 gig and the blogging are so inter-related that what he is out doing for his "real" job just gives him a lot of information that he can use in his blogs. Please, I'm not trying to take anything away from him or other bloggers who have made it to the top. The question really is whether or not I can really find bloggers who have REALLY hard and long hour jobs in IBM and expect they can do what is necessary to become well read bloggers for IBM without expecting them to spend hours each day blogging, reading blogs, finding links etc.

The site for me is partially my own experiment to see what it is to try and regularly blog - like I am asking people in IBM to step up and do - and partially to find other people out there who need to set up blogging strategies for their companies so that we can share knowledge and experiences.

No I don't have any delusions that I am on my way to becoming a famous blogger... That just isn't what I am aiming for. So am I a really dedicated blogger. I'm still not sure. I can say that this take more effort that I first imagined. Probably why by some estimates 65% of bloggers stop blogging... but this is good information for me as I work on corporate blogging strategy.

Thanks for checking in with me.

0 Old Comments: