Corporate Blogging - Blog exploring new age / new ideas in Marketing and Marcom

Friday, July 29, 2005

IBM Corporate blogging program growing

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. I think companies should take note and examine why this is happening. What am I talking about? I have found that to get a program rolling out in a big corporation often takes some high level muscle. I am finding the opposite to be true with blogging.

I wrote a few weeks ago about the Blog Enablement Day we held that had a really great response. I guess a lot of seeds were planted. Next week our Americas team is taking the content, information and knowledge and bringing it to a larger Americas geography team. I have been asked to host a similar Blog Day for our marketing communications teams in Asia Pacific and with other teams in IBM. The interesting part is that the pressure isn't coming from above, it is viral, person to person - a ground swell movement.

From a sociological perspective, why did this program catch on when I've seen other great ideas and programs that didn't? Any thoughts?

Thanks for checking in with me.

2 Old Comments:

I guess that you have to acknowledge that blogging is an organic act, that comes from the roots and up, and not the other way around, to make it viral. If IBM had been forcing everyone to start blogging from day one, I doubt that the viral effect would have been there. But teaching employees how to grow a "voice" and what they could benefit from by using some minutes a day blogging would surely start something.

It's interesting to follow the developments here and I am interested in telling some danish corporations about your experiences. I just can't seem to find a write-up, powerpoint presentation, whitepaper or anything documenting what has happend here? All I can find is some blogposts here and there, not something specifically from IBM. Do you have something?

By Blogger Jacob Bøtter, at 3:14 PM  

Jacob - It is hard to explain but I guess a company as big as IBM has so many things to communicate about that sometimes I think some of our really important stuff just doesn't get that much coverage. I myself have done a ton of presentations for internal IBMers and I'm sure that others have as well. If you can be a bit more specific about your objective and let me know the kind of information you are looking for and I'll see if I have something I can share externally.

By Blogger Sher Taton, at 1:44 PM